My Dog Ate A Lot Of Chocolate, What Is Going To Happen To Him?

32 Answers

Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
This happened once to somebody I know so I am aware somewhat of what you may be experiencing. In chocolate are a couple of things named: Theobromine and caffeine (stimulants) they can affect a dogs nerve system or the muscle in its heart (or heart muscle).Sometimes it will make a dog have to pee often. Mostly it depends on its weight and the kind of chocolate he ate. If for some reason the stimulants begin working in the dog you may want to call a pet Dr. You may want to call one without waiting depending on how much you think the dog ate if you are not sure about anything! You can watch for things like I said, peeing more than usual, panting hard or fast, being very hyper, shaking, muscles spazs or twitches, diarrhea, if it vomits or wants to, doesn't want to sleep,etc. Anything that you notice that looks abnormal. It is better to be safe than sorry. Maybe call a family member or friend if you need help with a pet DR. Hope all goes well for the dog and for you.
J. Wyatt Profile
J. Wyatt answered
unless your dog eats half their body weight in choc. It would not harm them. This has happen to me(told by vet)
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
How much of those bars were chocolate and how big is your dog?? Has your dog shown any symptoms?  Call your vet or ER vet line!  One ounce of baking chocolate can be life-threatening to a 10 lb dog, and  24 oz of milk chocolate would result in a potentially lethal dose for a 27 lb dog. Even small amounts of chocolate can cause adverse reactions. (Reactions can include nervous system stimulation, tachycardia (fast heart rate), weakness, vomiting and diarrhea, restlessness, irregular heartbeat, hyperactivity, and frequent urination.)
Symptoms  usually appear about 4-5 hours after ingestion. But ingestion of chocolate by dogs can result in tremors, seizures, and death, and clinical signs might not appear for several hours after ingestion.
Sarah jessica Profile
Sarah jessica answered
There is absolutely nothing to worry about if you rate ate the candy bar. There are cases where dogs have found to eat grass, vegetables etc. A candy bar won't cause nay sort of harm to your dog. The candy bar will be digested by the dog's body system and then the matter is over.
Fred Jones Profile
Fred Jones answered
As the saying goes, this too will pass. Granted dogs should not have chocolate as it gives them the runs so if I were you, I would get the dog outside so that it can pass the stuff it ate without you having to clean up the mess. The dog will probably get hyper as all the sugar in it but it really will not hurt the dog. Just got to let it go through.
Chessie Profile
Chessie answered
Your dog probably won't die. I looked it up and got this response for this website www.talktothevet.com    I googled "dogs and chocolate" it wa the first option        The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine, and theophylline.

Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine 100-150 mg/kg to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider like the individual sensitivity, animal size and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semisweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.
carrie Profile
carrie answered
www.bigpawsonly.com and www.dogownersdigest.com has some good advice. It depends on the weight and age of the dog and the type of chocolate. It can be extremely hazardous to dogs and can kill them. Some of the sites recommend taking your dog into the Vet right away. Good luck
cathi Profile
cathi answered
My chinese pug who was 1 1/2 yr old ate a whole plate of fudge, I just watched her closely and she was very hyper but she was ok.  I would keep a close eye on your dog and if something seems strange take your dog to the vet.
Muhammad Nadeem Profile
Muhammad Nadeem answered
If your dog has eaten small quantity of chocolate then no need to worry because it will not harm. If he has ingested large quantities or showing signs of chocolate poisoning then take him to vet. Signs of chocolate poisoning can be
  1. Frequent urination
  2. Hyperactivity
  3. Diarrhea
  4. Restlessness
  5. Vomiting
Please note that these signs appear immediately after eating chocolate.
Asad Ali Profile
Asad Ali answered
By acting weired what do you mean?If your dog is vomiting,has diarrhea or excessive urination and also fast pulse then it is advisable to take your dog to a vet for check up.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Feed it a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide. My puppy ate an entire chocolate cake and I called the vet freaking out and that's what I was told to do (to induce vomiting before it started being digested).
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
My puppy wont eat any dog food. He drinking but wants to lay down is that okay for eating couple of cookies
Kyoko Katayama Profile
Kyoko Katayama answered
His poo will be affected the most.  It will turn into something that looks like melted chocolate running out of his little butt.  If he survives this stage, he should be OK.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
My dog did exactly the same thing. People say that its no big deal unless they start showing signs such as head bobbing, wobbling, drunken behavior, etc. If your dog shows these signs, take him to the vet within the next 8 hours. If he is a small or young dog, 4 hours.
Deathlady Profile
Deathlady answered
All depends on how old your Dog is

if it's over a year old give it a tbls vegable oil and he/she will go  have the runs for a while  but an eye on it  make sure theres penty of water



my dogs did the same thing they ate a whole pound of chocolate so yea  it works


hope this has helped you in some kind of way
Morgan Moore Profile
Morgan Moore answered
Heres my answer personally I don't think he would die but just to make sure take him to a vet! Hope this helps!!!! ;)
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Your dog can be having renal failure, where the kidneys could shut down. Do not wait around to find out . If you love your dog like it is your child, then take them to the emergency room. Good Luck & God Speed.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
How much has your dog ate the chocolate if he ate a lot tack hem to the vet,if he didnt eat a lot he will get it out of hes system.
Moe Pence Profile
Moe Pence answered
You can also call the Animal Poison Control Center.  They do charge you for the consultation (about $60, credit card).  They can be found at 888-426-4435, if you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance.
tamara benham Profile
tamara benham answered
Gah, I don't know if chocolate is poison, or if it's just hard to digest due to being lactose tolerate. If it ate a lot, maybe you should take it to a vet. If it's just a little, then it will eventually get it out of it's system.
CiRo S Profile
CiRo S answered
Give him some pure cola syrup in a lil bowl of water to calm his stomach and watch over a few days if he is safe then he should be ok but if not take him to the vet and they will give him antibiotic's but after so much chocolate the dog get immune to it

like my dog ate a whole box of chocolate covered cherries and didnt even fase her now I just feed her chocolates and she is ok
Kyoko Katayama Profile
Kyoko Katayama answered
Your dog could start having seizures and maybe a stroke.  Watch him carefully as it is too late to seek veterinary care.

Answer Question

Anonymous