What Happens If A Dog Eats An Albuterol Inhaler?


5 Answers

Jackie Russell Profile
Jackie Russell answered
Frequently, dogs ingest items, chemicals or pills that are potentially dangerous for their health. Albuterol is a bronchodilator that relaxes muscles in the airways and increases air flow to the lungs. If you see this ingestion, you may be able to avoid the potential danger by making your dog vomit.

Inducing vomiting should be done only if instructed by your veterinarian. The procedure can be hazardous. It is strongly advisable to contact your family veterinarian or local veterinary emergency centre for advice before attempting to induce vomiting. The item or substance ingested, the time and amount of ingestion, as well as the overall health of your dog should be considered prior to recommending the induction of vomiting.

There are different methods to induce vomiting. Three percent hydrogen peroxide is quite effective but you must be sure to use three per cent peroxide and not hair colouring strength peroxide.

Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic because it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body. The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml.

Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three per cent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.

Salt water and mustard seed water are other alternatives that have been used to induce vomiting but have not been proven to be very effective. Therefore, it is not recommended to give salt water or mustard seed water for any reason to dogs unless specifically recommended by your veterinarian.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
If the animal is acting unusually, bring it to the vet immediately. The tip of the nose may be warmer than usual, and the dog may seem hyperactive. But unless the dog's behavior is very strange compared to how it usually is, take it to the vet. I'm a vet tech. Don't worry,  the inhaler has only opened the airway just as it does for a human.
walter jedyk Profile
walter jedyk answered
The dog might fall right sick.
The dogs stomach might explode.
Bring the dog to the vet immediately to remove it!
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
My dog did the same today, But he has not showed any symptoms.... I was told to force feed him some sort of soda crystals to make him vomit.... I didn't have any so I just kept an eye on him and he was ok. I would love to know how your little dog turned out.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
My dog got a hold of my albuterol inhaler and chewed it up. He didn't eat the actual inhaler but ingested the contents. That was this morning. He's now very slow, his nose is hot and his heart is beating very quickly.

Answer Question