If a dog's eyes and mouth are swollen it is likely they have suffered an allergic reaction to something they have eaten, or they have been stung by a bee or bitten by another insect. The best cure for this is to give the dog a medicine called Benadryl which is available in liquid and tablet form. The drug is actually manufactured for human use but it is safe to give to dogs in tablet form. It is advisable to give the dog a tablet immediately as the swelling could spread to the dog's throat and this may cause suffocation. Most dogs suffer from some sort of allergy, the most frequent being an allergic reaction to tick bites, or bites from other insects. Food allergies actually account for about 15% of allergies in dogs. If a dog has an allergy to food, it will have increased bowel movements and soft stools. The best thing to do if this is spotted in a dog is to contact a vet immediately as they will be able to suggest the best course of action. Angioedema is another possible cause. This swelling is similar to hives but is beneath the skin and can affect the mouth and eyes. In extreme cases a tube may be needed to assist with breathing. It is difficult to ascertain the causes of angioedema. Another common form of allergy in dogs is called atopy. This is a seasonal allergy that is most likely to occur in early spring. Dogs who are allergic to tree pollen will suffer at this time. Some dogs will also suffer from atopy in the winter if they are allergic to dust mites. The symptoms of atopy include chewing of the feet, licking of the groin area, rubbing of the face, inflamed ears and facial scabs.
There could be several reasons for swollen eyes. First, it could be an eye infection. Is there any discharge from the eyes? Second, your dog could have allergies. Many dogs are allergic to things in the yard or in the house (just like people). The last thing is a clogged tear duct. This probably isn't the case though, if both eyes are affected. Contact your vet. And take your dog in, eyes that are swollen can be very annoying for them, and could lead to blindness, if not addressed quickly.
My dog woke up with his left eye watery and swollen and partially closed. This has never happen before. Any suggestions?
It's possible that your dog may have been stung by bees. Yellow jacket nests are often found in the ground (at least in my part of the country). If your dog likes to investigate and poke around at bushes and places in your yard or the park, he may have aggravated a nest. Make sure he has plenty of cool water available and you may want to apply cool compresses to his eye area, but really I would keep a close eye on him because just like humans, bee stings can be deadly.
Is there any animal charities near you who could help or rescue centre ? You could bathe them in salt warm water, if its an infection like conjunctivitis, making sure you use a different swab on each eye to prevent cross infection. Has your dog been near any plants that may have been sprayed with insecticides or been stung by a wasp or bee ? Get help from a chemist as you can use human treatments on dogs if you use child doses. They should be able to provide you with some help. Please get help don't let the poor thing suffer.
My chihuahua has a swollen mouth what do I do?
You can send him/her into the forest and keep them there for 2 hours. Then when you get home give him/her a bath then put bug spray on him/her.
Take it to the vet. Now!! He/she probably is VERY annoyed by it.