Are Philodendrons Poisonous To My Dog?


2 Answers

Lucy Burroughs Profile
Lucy Burroughs answered
Yes, they can be!

Philodendrons are toxic to both dogs and cats, so you’ll need to be really careful if you’re a pet owner. The safest option would be to get rid of the plants completely.

What Can Happen If My Dog Eats Philodendrons?
If your dog eats enough of the plant, he or she could die. However, the most common things that happen when a dog eats philodendrons are:

  • Irritation and swelling of the mouth
  • Mouth ulcers
  • Pain and swelling of the throat
  • Damage to kidneys
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
If you think your dog might have eaten some philodendrons, take him or her to the vet as soon as you can. The plants are toxic to dogs, and your pet could be in a lot of pain and danger.

Obviously, it's much cheaper and easier to prevent the problem than to treat it, so make sure you don't have any philodendrons around if you own a dog.
Donna Joy Plattner Profile
Very much so...put a small fence around the flowers or get rid of the flowers. A half a leaf won't hurt her but put a small fence around the flowers and teach her to leave them alone...she will listen. Like kids they just need guidance.

Answer Question