Likewise... We had a beagle when we used to live in Miami and a Hibiscus in the backyard. We noticed him regularly nibbling on the bush, leaves most often though. I don't remember him going after blossoms in particular. He did this regularly in his later years and he never showed any ill effects that we recognized. We were familiar with Hibiscus used in teas and assumed it was harmless.
Every hibiscus that I get my blue and red heeler devourer them!!! I have to keep them on the top rails of my porch to keep them out of them. Maybe they are toxic to some breeds of dog, but to mine they are like bacon.
My 9-month old Lab races to the hibiscus plant and eats the flowers that have fallen to the ground at least once a day lately. To date, he has not shown any adverse reaction. No vomiting, etc. Most of the official sites do not list it as poisonous, but a good point was made to consider pesticides, etc.
Don't know if they are poisonous, but my two chocolate labs search for spent hibiscus flowers daily. Since they are not perennial bushes in Chicago, they even remember them in May when I purchase new plants, even though they haven't had them since October! Before I started buying the topiary plants, they would literally break the branches to get at the blossoms. So far, no vomiting or any other adverse side effects.
My dog is almost 11 years old (Border Collie/Aussie mix) and he has been devouring hibiscus flowers since he was 2 years old. He started out eating the spent flowers that he found on the ground, but he now prefers the buds. They seem to be like candy for him. It's crazy. He has never had any ill effects at all, but he has never eaten the leaves. He is not all all interested in the flowers from our Rose of Sharon bushes, which are related to Hibiscus.
No. Totally edible... They'll probably love it ; )
My corgis love the hibiscus flowers, and also search for them daily. They have eaten them for the past 2 years and have never been sick. Don't they make tea out of hibiscus flowers?
Hibiscus flowers have laxative properties, how do I know ?
I've eaten two hibiscus flowers.
Not poisonous at all, hibiscus could be considered a medicinal plant.
Dogs are carnivore animals which means they eat meat. Their digestive system is made originally to eat meat in order to keep balance in the nature. Dogs can also eat diet of omnivores which does not mean that these diets are safe for them. Even the hibiscus is safe in human and dogs are eating off and on, it does not mean that this plant has no toxic effects in dogs. So, it is better to keep the dogs away from all plants and grasses.
My two schnauzers just ate at least ten blooms off my hibiscus and I am waiting to see what happens????? Wondering if I need to call the vet?
I hope not!!! My lab ate almost every leaf on a 3foot plant last night! I'm at work now and hope I have a dog to go home to!!!