Anonymous

Is A Little Bit Of Milk Bad For A Dog?

10

10 Answers

Ryan Rugraff Profile
Ryan Rugraff answered
You found a good place for answers. No a little bit (depending on what you mean by little) will not hurt a dog. It is actually worse for cats to have bovine milk than for a dog. Dogs can digest a lot if not most human foods with relative ease. An ounce or less of milk should be fine, but only once in awhile. The only food I know of that is absolutely against good diet for a canine is chocolate, it can cause severe kidney damage. Even a little piece of chocolate if consumed is not going to kill them. Unfortunately if they get a taste for it, they may end up seeking it out (it does taste good to them). I had a dog get into some hershey's kisses and ate a whole bag, foil and all. So if you can help it, don't let them ever try chocolate.
thanked the writer.
SOX
SOX commented
I agree, the only downside of giving dogs milk is dirrhea, but not all dogs react to it that way. One thing I would like to add is never give dogs grapes or big olives to prevent choking.
Val Outh Profile
Val Outh answered
A lot of dogs are lactose intolerant and cannot handle cows milk and get diarrhea. I had one dog who could not tolerate it even in small amounts, and now have a 2 year old who has no problem with milk at all, although I don't give him much.
R Maye Profile
R Maye answered
Dogs can have milk...in small amounts and not often. A dog will get diarrhea from milk. Cats on the other hand, can get sick from cow milk. For dogs you should stay away from: Raisins, grapes, and brown chocolate.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
My grandad fed his dogs a small amount of dry food and milk straight from the vat on our dairy farm, they were working dogs, very lean and very energetic. He has/breeds champion "dog trial" dogs as well. As a treat he would give them some fresh red meat. They were fine with milk, but I think it has a lot to do with the dog,,and also pure milk is a lot different than milk from the shop I guess
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
It is not bad mixed with water!
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Very small amounts of milk mixed with water are not harmful to dogs.  Pure cow's milk causes gastrointestinal upset.  Cow's milk should not be fed to puppies.  If you have a puppy requiring milk buy a puppy milk replacer from a pet store or veterinary clinic.  Dogs do not need milk they should be fed fresh water to meet their thirst requirements.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
A dog can have milk in small amounts and not  very often they will get diarrhea from it though
Hannah Wine Profile
Hannah Wine answered
No it isn't dangerouse for dogs but I wouldnt recomend it because its hard for them to digest it and it may give it gas.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Yes they go poo poo all over a lil here a lil there ends up being a not so lil everywhere

Answer Question

Anonymous