It could be hot spots on your golden retriever. They are prone to them in summer months. My retriever has a lot right now, and he has never smelled worse.
My Golden Retriever Has A Bad Smell, Especially In Summer. I've Given Him A Haircut, Checked His Ears, Bathed Him Frequently. Can Goldens Have BO?
There are many reasons of dog smell. These are
- bacterial infection on skin (requires vet visit)
- Anal gland infection (requires vet visit)
- Excessive oily coat (requires regular bath)
- Rolling in to dirt ( requires brushing and bath)
- Unknown smell ( Apply tomato juice for 15-20 minutes then rinse with water).