Are Tulips Poisonous For Cats?


4 Answers

Charlie Proofer Profile
Charlie Proofer answered
Did you know that there are actually over 700 plants that can be poisonous or toxic to your pet? The list included here cannot possibly begin to cover every single poisonous plant in existence, and it should also be said that some of these plants are much more toxic than others are. It is important to use your best judgement when determining whether or not these plants should remain in your home or garden. Consider your personal situation and the normal behaviour of your pets.  If you keep any of these plants in areas that cannot be accessed by your pet, or if you have a pet that has never bothered with getting into your plants in the past, then it is likely you shouldn't have a problem with keeping those particular species of plants in a home with pets.

The most important thing for you do to when assessing your current plant situation, is to dig a little bit deeper and find out exactly how toxic certain plants can be and how they can affect your animal.  Here is a list of the 10 Most Common Poisonous Plants:

Marijuana - Animals who attempt to snack on this plant can suffer serious consequences such as diarrhea, vomiting, increased heart rate, drooling, in-coordination, and even possibly seizures and coma.

Sago Palm - While the seeds and nuts of this plant are mostly poisonous, the entire plant is toxic.  Animals ingesting parts of this plant may suffer from diarrhea, vomiting, depression, seizures and liver failure.

Lilies - Plants of the lily variety are very poisonous to cats.  Even very small amounts of this plant could cause serious kidney damage.

Tulips - The toxic portion of this plant is the actual bulb, which can cause drooling, central nervous system depression, gastrointestinal irritation, cardiac issues and convulsions.

Azalea - The toxins in azalea plants can be very severe and potentially cause drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, central nervous system weakening and depression, and in some cases possibly coma or death.

Oleander - All portions of this plant are poisonous and can cause gastrointestinal irritation, hypothermia, heart problems and possibly death.

Castor Bean - Poisoning as a result of this plant can cause abdominal pain, drooling, diarrhea, vomiting increased thirst, loss of appetite and weakness.  More serious cases could also lead to dehydration, tremors, seizures, twitching muscles, coma and possibly death.

Cyclamen - The most poisonous portion of this plant is located in the root.  Ingestion of the plant can cause severe vomiting and gastrointestinal irritation.  In some cases death has been reported as a result.

Kalanchoe - Ingestion of this plant can cause gastrointestinal irritation and cardiac rhythm and rate problems.

Yew - Poisoning as a result of the yew plant can affect the nervous system and cause in-coordination, trembling and breathing difficulties.  It may also result in gastrointestinal irritation, cardiac failure and could possibly lead to death.

As you can see Tulips are poisonous to cats but only the bulb, so if your cat is known for digging up your plants then it would be wise to avoid growing tulips but if your cat isn’t known for being in your garden much then you should have no worries in growing tulips.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Yea, the cause may be the ingestion of tulips. Tulips are one of those attracting plants that are poisonous to animals. It is safe for humans but toxic to animals. The toxic portion of this plant is mainly the bulb (which is often confused with onion) and then the stem and leaves and least the flowers.
Signs and Symptoms:
After involuntary ingestion of tulips the following signs and symptoms may occur;
1- Drooling,
2- Central nervous system depression,
3- Gastrointestinal irritation,
4- Cardiac issues,
5- Convulsions.

As the symptoms is only the upsetting of the stomach; with no major other conditions, so better to restrict the cat to have an access to the tulips. Or keep the tulip in such an area that can not be reachable by the cat.
If the condition still persists, the do administer some good purgative.
Or an easier and the good one is to give castor oil about 15 mL in warm milk 30 mL. Mix both and give at once.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
Maybe they are because you never know what your cat will eat unnoticed and always supervise them when they are outside or out of your sight. At all times
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
But are they poisonous?

Answer Question