Dogs, amongst other pets, can be subject to allergies just as humans are. There are a number of symptoms that can be detected in dogs that may suggest that he or she is suffering with an allergic reaction. The most common symptom from an allergy in a dog is itching. This itching may be caused by food, contact or inhaled allergens and can either be localised at spots or systemic covering the dog’s entire body. Dogs can also suffer from food allergies. These may be exhibited as gastro or intestinal problems and is generally a reaction to a specific ingredient in the dog’s food or treats. Although it is more common in cats, dogs may also get allergies that cause respiratory problems. These are more serious and if your dog is showing any signs of having breathing difficulties you should contact a vet immediately.
Pinpointing the allergy can be difficult, but if you can figure out what is causing your dog’s allergic reaction it becomes much easier to treat. In order to eliminate the possible allergens try restricting contact with chemical agents and feeding your pet with higher quality food. If you think your dog is suffering with contact allergies then washing him with a hypoallergenic shampoo may help reduce the symptoms. Adding Omega 3 fatty acids to your dog’s diet as well as Vitamin A, E and zinc can reduce inhalant allergies. To help relieve your dog’s itching you can try using ointments and lotions or give him a cool bath. Some believe that by reducing a dog’s stress level, you can reduce the allergic reactions. This is most commonly done by prescribing the dog antihistamines, steroids or allergy shots. If you are having trouble deciphering what your dog’s allergy is, it is important to seek advise from a vet.
Just be careful if using Prednisone. Adrenal suppression will occur if prednisone is taken for longer than 7 days. This will cause the body to lose the ability to synthesize it's natural corticosteroids, resulting in dependence on prednisone. For this reason, prednisone should NOT be abruptly stopped if taken for more than a week, & instead, the dosage should be gradually reduced. This weaning process may be over a few days if the course of prednisone was short. Pred may also cause increased urination, thirst, and appetite. I have been a Veterinary Technician for about 10 years and if an animal has an allergic reation to a vaccine, you should call your veterinarian and talk to him or her about the symptoms. This will help to ensure that when the vaccine is due again, your Veterinarian will know about the possible vaccine reaction and take preventative measures to ensure that it does not happen again. If you do not make your veterinarian aware, it is bound to happen again so always let Your pup's vet know things like this. I know that diphenhydramine (benadryl) is a fairly safe drug, however, it would be very irresponsible of me to tell you to give your baby ANY medication over the interned since I can not see or examine him or her. God forbid something happens to your pup (like an allergy to the diphenhydramine), I would never forgive myself. That is why you should call the Veterinarian that administered the vaccines, make them aware of the symptoms, let him or her tell you what to give puppy (if anything), and let him or her document the possible vaccine reaction in your pup's chart to ensure this does not become a yearly event when vaccines are given. Your vet may even want to see your baby. Diphenhydramine can be given IV (intravenous) which is much much quicker acting than giving an oral dose of the medication and your vet may feel that that is what is necessary. Just be careful and do not give ANY medication without talking to your Veterinarian first since he or she knows your animal's history and can see/examine your pet, and document important information that may help prevent another incident from happening in the future... I hope that I have helped you and your pup!! Please let me know how everything works out by leaving me a message in my shoutbox
Jennifer - VT, Certified ACO
Your dog is most probably suffering from an allergic reaction to the shots that she got. It does not seem like it is a severe reaction, as in that her breathing would be labored as well. You can use an oral antihistamine like disphenhydramine (Benadryl) to fix this. She will need to be given 1 milligram per pound of her body weight, three times a day. This will usually clear up allergic reactions without a visit to the emergency room. Prednisone is also used to clear up allergic reactions, so if Benadryl does not work you can look into giving her that.
Mild reactions also sometimes do not need treatment, and will resolve themselves over twenty four hours. If your dog is not doing better in twenty four hours, then you should take her to the vet.
Yes it sounds like your dog is having a vaccine reaction. The best treatment is injectable medication followed up with oral Benadryl at home. Mild reactions involve facial swelling, itching, and mild lethargy. Anaphylactic shock leads to trouble breathing, collapse, and vomiting. If your dog is exhibiting any of these signs have her examined by a veterinarian ASAP! It would be best either way to have her examined by your veterinarian. Next time vaccines are due they will want to separate the days vaccines are given and will give injectable Benadryl prior to vaccination.
I have a pit bull that I think maybe allergic to fleas. She has developed a loss of hair on her left back side with bumps all over her side. What can we do for this beside continue to keep her bath and flea free? She has also developed a large bump on her paw and one is coming out now over her eye. I have never seen anything like this before and I have 2 other dogs. Can someone give me any advise.
I would get that looked at by a vet but in the mean time I would put a cold pack on it and see if the swelling goes down
My dog all of sudden was laying on her side and I saw her hair raised and looks like Hives? Now it is spreading from her side, legs to her chest and face...
I had a same thing happen to my dog and still don't know what happen to him. The vet did an IV on him and some med stop help the swelling go down and now hes fine.