Anonymous

What Could Have Poisoned And Killed My Small Dog That Fast?

3

3 Answers

Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
I am not a vet or trained in animal science, but I know from experience that in acute kidney disease or failure, such as where there is toxicity, the signs occur suddenly and can be very severe.

It could have been ingestion of chocolate or even cocoa bean mulch used for landscaping--it's used a lot in landscaping, believe it or not.. . Theobromine, caffeine are the toxins. Cocoa bean shell mulch products have an attractive odor and smell, and some dogs will eagerly eat large amounts of the mulch.
Antifreeze poisoning could also be possible.Ethylene glycol is the ingredient found in most antifreeze products, most commonly at a concentration of 95-97%. It is an extremely dangerous toxin. The lethal dose for dogs is 2-3 ml/lb, and for cats it is 0.64 ml/lb. There are 15 ml in a tablespoon, so 2 tablespoons (30 ml) could be lethal for a 15-pound dog, and less than one-half of a tablespoon is lethal to a 10-pound cat. Smaller quantities can still make an animal critically ill. Signs of poisoning: There are three stages of ethylene glycol poisoning:

Stage 1: 0-12 hours after ingestion, nervous system signs develop including mild depression, ataxia, knuckling, seizures, or hyperexcitability. These signs are similar to acute alcohol intoxication and resemble drunkenness. Other symptoms may include lack of appetite, vomiting, drop in body temperature, and an increase in drinking and urination. Stage 2: 12-24 hours after ingestion, cardiovascular system signs including increased heart rate and an increased respiratory rate can be seen. Stage 3: 12-72 hours after ingestion, kidneys are affected. Symptoms include severe depression, vomiting, diarrhea, blood in urine, dehydration, kidney failure, and death.

Unfortunately, you may never know the answer. I am so sorry about the loss of your dog. I understand how hard it must be not knowing what happened, and hope for your comfort and healing. It sounds like you really loved your little pooch. Best wishes.
tricia howes Profile
tricia howes answered
This sounds like what happened to my friends dog a few years back and believe it or not the dog ate a frog which later killed poor chichi,frogs and toads very toxic to cats and dogs.

Answer Question

Anonymous