Bee stings can be fatal in dogs though this is pretty uncommon. Bee stings can cause anaphylactic shock-this can be fatal. Signs include difficulty breathing, weakness, collapse, vomiting, diarrhea, and decreased gum color. The serious reactions happen fast-within minutes to several hours of the sting. If this happens take your dog to a veterinarian immediately!
Most insect bite reactions cause facial swelling of the muzzle, lips and around the eye and intense itching. These reactions still require treatment.
Have your dog examined by a veterinarian; they will give a steroid and a Benadryl injection. This will be followed up with oral Benadryl.
The oral dose of Benadryl is 1 milligram per pound of body weight. This is given 3 times a day for 2 days. Benadryl comes in 25 milligram capsules or a children's liquid that is 12.5 milligrams per 5 milliliters. Do not use a Cold and Sinus variety.
Our 3 month old miniature poodle was playing in the park yesterday. She suddenly stopped- so we picked her up. Clover then threw up and suddenly peed all over me. Within minutes- her health deteriorated quickly and her breath became shallow. En route to the emergency vet hospital (10min away) she looked up at my Girlfriend and said good bye with her eyes. Then she went completely limp and we thought she was dead. Running red lights and honking at any car that got in my way- we arrived at the emergency room and quickly rushed her in. They found a stinger still pumping venom on her lip- and gave her a steroid injection. She is now ok- but we are lucky that she survived. We now carry an EpiPen- which will buy us some more time. This was a terrible experience- and I sympathize for pet owners who have been less fortunate. Time is of the essence- if your puppy stops playing and looses bodily control and starts to fade in an out of consciousness--- I hope you are already on your way to the ER.
FYI- the vet told us that regardless of their reaction the first time they are stung- it is the second time that they experience a severe reaction if they are allergic.
How long does the facial swelling last in a dog after having a reaction to a bug bite? She broke out in hives and her face swelled up. The hives have gone away four hours later but her face is still swollen. I have given her benadryl. Does anyone know how long her face will be swollen for approximately?
Just 10 hours ago my Great Dane puppy (65 lbs at 17 weeks!) got stung when in the back yard. She was outside for no more than 3 min, stumbled into the house and collapsed and seized up. I have NEVER seen anything more frightening in my entire life and had no idea what was going on. I was running red lights and driving on the highway shoulder at 5:00 in LA traffic sure that my baby was going to die before I got to the closest emergency clinic. She was on a respirator and IV for hours but is recovering now. ALL DOG OWNERS- have benedryll in your house, your doggie bag when walking, your purse and your car at all times!!!! 1mg per pound of body weight and SPRINT to a vet. If you know your dog has an allergy get a prescription for an epipen from your vet. I am thanking the heavens my angel ok. 10 more min and she would have been gone. I am so lucky. I almost lost the best thing that has ever happened to me.
The sad truth is yes they can be fatal at times, like once my friend had a dog and got three bee stings and was acting strange and walking unusually, she hasn't got over it yet .
My Yorkie was stung by a bee yesterday and had just passed by the time I got her to the emergency hospital. Thank God they were able to revive her and stabilize her. Now she is in the critical care puupy section at the hospital hopefully to come home in 2 days. I had been running with her (no cell phone) when it happened... No idea she is severly allergic. As I look back I am terribly disappointed in my vet. I had to run as fast as I could back to my house (1 1/2 miles) as she is dying in my arms. I flagged down my friend and he rushed me to the vet. When I got there they grabbed her took her back and said she was still alive but the Dr. Wasn't there so I would have to take her 15 mins up the road to the animal hospital. Completely unacceptable! They should have done something to stabilize her until I got to the hospital. Five more minutes and I would have lost one of the great loves of my life.
The bee sting can be fatal for every one but depends upon the number of stings. The bee stings have toxin which cause pain and inflammation. If large number of bee attack on any animals with repeated bite, then it can be fatal. I advise you to take your dog to vet if above condition is.
My dog was having problems breathing. It sounded like something may be stuck in her throat. She was taken to the emergency clinic and they determined her throat was swelling shut. She required a tracheotomy's. The vet was uncertain why her throat was swelling but we suspected she had been stung by a bee in her throat. She does snap at bugs all the time. She spent three days in the hospital and it took weeks for her tracheotomy to heal. Thank God she is O.K. I am afraid to leave her outside unsupervised as she does continue to snap at flying insects, It is probably a good idea to speak to a vet and have Benadryl on hand should your dog have a reaction to a bee sting.
My daughter noticed our shepard was acting really sick, his tail and ears are down, he is favoring his left paw and his mouth seems like its locked shut. He is panting and is lethargic. My husband says he saw him chasing bees earlier. We gave him benadryl and he seems still in pain? Help
Yes unfortunately they can be, my 5 year old golden retriever was stung by a bee this past weekend and died within minutes. The vet believes the bee may have flown into his mouth while he was barking and stung him in the throat causing it to swell shut.
My dog is still alive, but had huge swollen lips for a day (multiple bites) and has been vomiting for 2 more days. When will the vomiting end? (she is off the benadryl).
I would take him to the vet in case he's having an allergic reaction. Is he having trouble breathing? Best wishes
Killer bee stings are fatal , and I also heard about a cross bread which is know to its fatal stings
My pug ( 2 years old) was stung on the lip and with in 7 minutes today died, so I am tyring to do some research
Goodness, he may be getting reaction to sting. Check about giving him some Benadryl, check with your pharmasist
My 41/2 month old pug was stung on the lip and she ran around rubbing her face but then seemed okay (I didn't realize it was a bee sting, though she had just put something in her mouth she didn't like the taste of). She started to go downhill though, really lethargic, uncomfortable, groaning..so I took her to the vet and she need oxygen, steroids and benadryl. We now know she has a severe allergy to bee stings. Very scary but she's chewing my husbands pajamas right now so I guess she's feeling better.
Our miniature Dachshund (18 pounds) began rolling around on the floor as if his skin itched. Thinking he had gotten into a bunch of ants I picked him up to examine his skin more closely and give him a bath. At first I saw about a half dozen hives on his head. As I held him the hives began to spread rapidly before my eyes. Within a minute or two he was completely covered with dime sized hives. (They looked like welts, little lumps under his fur) I rushed him to the Vet and they gave him the standard injections. He began to recover very quickly and the hives disappeared. The next morning I found a dead bee on our living room floor.
My dog Kiba swallowed a wasp last summer and threw it up and would not stop throwing up. It scared me so bad, so I took him to a vet hospital and they gave him a steroid shot and said that if I would have been like 30 minutes later he probably would have died. They told me when I got home to give him a 50mg Benadryl tablet to minimize the swelling. I am not sure about actual stings though. I think the wasp stung my dog while in his stomach.
I have a young bull-dog who's about 1 year old and he was stung or bitten by something within the last half hour. His entire face swelled up and continued to swell, until his eyes were barely visible. His chin was very red and most of his face as well. It obviously was itchy because he just rolled his face and body on the carpet scratching it. There are welts (I'm guessing they're stings) all over his legs and a few on the side of his stomache. My mom just took him to the clinic about 10 minutes ago and we have no idea what to expect, but I'm really freaking out because this looks very fatal.
I have a boston terrier who got stung just 3 hours ago. I initially found him laying lifeless with no gum color!!! He couldn't pick up his head, he had shallow breathing, no blood pressure, and he was cold like he was dead. After I got myself together because I thought every breath was going to be his last, I rushed him to the vet. Within 15 minutes he was back on his feet. Breathing fine and his color returning very slowly. I was sent home thinking he has a heart defect suddenly. Then after returning home his face and front paws swell up. So I returned to the Vet in which they told me he had been stung by a bee and gave him a steroid shot. He is still swollen but behavior has returned to normal.