Similarly to humans, large quantities of Borax can be harmful to dogs if digested. Accidentally swallowing Borax may cause your dog to vomit or have diarrhoea, but it should not do any more serious damage than that. Borax can in fact be a good way to get rid of fleas. Sprinkling Borax on a dog bed will help kill fleas without you needing to place it on the dog directly. It is recommended that you do not let your dog near the sprayed bed until the Borax has completely dried. If you suspect that your dog has swallowed a small dosage of Borax, give your pet plenty of water and let it pass through. A large dosage should be tended to far more seriously, and so contact your vet for an emergency appointment. Upon arrival, provide the professional with as much detail as you can about what was digested, a rough quantity and when. This should help your vet analyse how serious the situation is and what the best treatment is.
Borax is a boron compound and is usually found as a white powder consisting of soft colourless crystals that can be dissolved easily in water. There are a number of uses for Borax that include for cosmetics, detergents and to prevent fires. Borax occurs naturally in evaporite deposits that are produced by seasonal lakes which have evaporated repeatedly. It can most commonly be found in Turkey, or in Boron and Searles Lake, both in California. Borax can be created synthetically using other boron compounds.
A very large dosage is required to harm humans. Exposure can cause respiratory problems and skin irritation. Humans that digest Borax may have symptoms including nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhoea. Sever poisonings can cause renal failure, a rash, unconsciousness or respiratory depression.
Only in large quantities. As long as it isn't boric acid, the dog will only vomit or have diarrhea. Nothing too serious.. It's actually a good treatment when mixed with water and h2o2 for scabies/mange. (mites)